Explaining future technologies with drones
Small drones, or flying robots, are at the intersection of electrical engineering, mechatronics and computer science
Since 2017, the DroneMasters Academy offers a variety of learning and vacation programs with drones. Supporting educators, we are offering this teacher training seminar online to share our experience and knowledge.
This teacher training is directed at teachers of all types of schools.
A certificate of participation can be issued upon request.
This advanced training is suitable for teachers of all school types.
Industrial trends such as electrification, sustainability, and digitization can be presented and visualized very well through small drones suitable for education.
Content and questions could be something like
• How can electric (air) transport assist in the fight against climate change?
• What sustainable projects can be enabled with flying sensors and remote sensing?
• How can a flying robot be remotely controlled or autonomously programmed?
Small drones can be used to teach students the basics of electrical engineering and electromobility, including how electric motors and battery systems work. These contents and approaches can help prepare students for the challenges and opportunities of the future and provide them with future-oriented skills and competencies.
Drones are excellent educational tools for several reasons
- Hands-on learning: Using drones in education provides students with hands-on experience in engineering, technology, and coding.
- Problem-solving: Flying and programming drones can help students develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
- STEM education: Drones are a fun and engaging way to introduce students to STEM fields, including physics, aerodynamics, and computer science.
- Multidisciplinary: Drones can be used to teach a wide range of subjects, including geography, biology, and environmental science.
- Accessibility: With the advancement of technology, drones have become more affordable and accessible, making them an excellent tool for education at all levels, from K-12 to higher education.
This teacher training is a free online seminar, in which three main topics will be presented
- A framework for using small drones for educational purposes
- Current developments in drone technology, with reference to the topic of education
- Introduction to drone programming - from block-based browser to script-based interface using Python
The teacher training is intended as a cross-curricular offering to introduce the subject, which can then be further developed in a subject-specific manner.
The following subject areas can be deepened using small drones
- Aviation and technology skills: Operating and programming drones can teach students basic skills in areas such as aeronautical engineering, electronics, and computer science.
- Problem Solving: Flying and programming drones can help students improve their critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Geography and Environmental Science: Drones can be used to collect and analyze data about landscapes, weather conditions, and environmental conditions.
- Art and photography: drones can be used for creative projects such as photography and film.
Data analysis and statistics: drones can be used to collect and analyze data, which can help students improve their skills in data analysis and statistics.
- Collaboration and Teamwork: drone projects can help students improve their skills in teamwork, communication, and problem solving.